HOW TO GENERATE AADHAR VIRTUAL ID??
WHAT IS AADHAR VIRTUAL ID??
Virtual ID is an alternate option of Aadhar number. The temporary code consists 16 numerals that are generated against Aadhar number. At a time only one Virtual ID is generated against an Aadhar number. It can be generated as many times the user wants and a revocable code is valid at least one day and can be changed with a change in date i.e @ 00:00 am.
HOW TO GENERATE VIRTUAL ID ONLINE??
The virtual ID can be generated online on the official UIDAI website, against your Aadhar card number. It is also proposed that virtual ID generation feature will now also available on mAadhar app in future. It is compulsory to register your mobile number with UIDAI because virtual ID will be sent to your registered mobile number. In case if you haven’t registered your mobile number with UIDAI then you have to first link your mobile number to Aadhar card. Below is the step to generate virtual ID online.
- Visit UIDAI website at http://UIDAI.gov.in/
- Click on the “Virtual ID (VID) Generator” from Aadhar services section.
- A new page of VID generations will be open.
- Enter your 12 digit Aadhar card number and security code.
- Now click on sent ‘OTP’ to your registered mobile number.
- An OTP will be sent to your registered mobile number with UIDAI.
- Enter the OTP and select to either “Generate VID” or “Retrieve VID”.
- Now click on submit button.
- You will receive a msg like “Congratulations” Your VID never is successfully generated and sent to your registered mobile number.
- You will receive a text message on your mobile mentioning 16 digits virtual ID for Aadhar number and last 4 digits of Aadhar, generated at 04-04-2018:11:31:02.
WHY DO WE NEED VIRTUAL ID??
There have been of a number of cases claims that their Aadhar data leakage. People have been concerned about the safety of their Aadhar and their details. UIDAI has addressed concerns of people and has come up with the idea of virtual ID. When users provide their virtual ID’s instead of Aadhar, agencies cannot retrieve the Aadhar number of the applicant and authentication is carried out as usual. Thus, Aadhar details are not accessed by the agencies in any manner and keep Aadhar number and other details safe from being hacked.
11 FEATURES OF THE AADHAR VIRTUAL ID:
- The UIDAI has done various updates in its system through VID. Some of the salient features of VID are as follows:
- The VID is a temporary 16 digit code that will replace Aadhar for authentication.
- There is only one virtual ID issue at a time. When new VID issues then the old one is flushed out.
- Agencies have to update their system to include VIDs on 1st June 2018.
- Aadhar number cannot be retrieved from the virtual ID’s.
- It is not mandatory to generate VIDs.
- Agencies cannot force applicants to provide Aadhar card number for e-KYC or verification.
- Agencies have to take consent from the user for authentication using VID.
- No agency is authorized to store the VID or any other Aadhar details for authentication.
- The VID is valid till the user generates new VID.
- When you retrieve your Aadhar, the last generated VID is sent to the registered mobile number.